This recipe is so easy, and so yummy! It starts with a boxed cake mix, and only needs one bowl what’s easier than that?
I originally got this recipe from a neighbor and it has become a standard go to in our house. For Thanksgiving I was making two, so I decided to try to dress one up a bit. The result was fantastic, and still so easy! I hope you agree!
Ingredients (for one cake):
1 Devil’s Food Cake Mix (or any fudgy cake mix)
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. Kahlua
3/4 c. vegetable oil
8oz. of sour cream (I used low fat)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Place in a 9″ spring form pan and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
When cooled decorate with canned vanilla frosting, and whatever decorative things you like (I used mini chips).
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese-softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
Grease two 9 inch round baking pans (bottoms and sides) and line the bottom with parchment paper.
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Place in 9″ pans and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes in the pans, than remove from pans to wire racks upside down (this flattens domed cakes) and cool completely.
To make the filling:
- In a large mixing bowl mix heavy whipping cream just until firm peaks form(if you beat too long it will become overdone and look like butter).
- In another mixing bowl beat cream cheese and sugar until it’s smooth.
- Combine cream cheese mixture and whipped cream.
- Place a cooled cake layer on a serving plate. Spread half of the filling on bottom layer, carefully place the second layer on top of filling, run a knife along edge of filling layer to smooth, stuffing some extra in if necessary.
- Place the remainder of the filling in a pastry bag, and pipe onto the top of the cake. Garnish with mini chips.